- provide a boolean property "virtualScrolling" on component GridColumnMenuCheckboxFilter which allows rendering a large list of filter options without delay
- there are a lot of options to filter already in memory
- the filter dropdown has to open quickly (it opens slowly now, because there are so many options)
- after opening, the user sees a huge list (i.e. a long scrollbar)
- so he starts making the list of options smaller using the search input
Here's a screenshot with 100 options.
From a developer point of view I think a scrollable filter is the most convenient way to handle the problem.
An alternative would be to provide a handler whenever the user selects a combobox in the GridColumnMenuCheckboxFilter. Then we could cut the number of options after a threshold and an option / combobox labelled "show more". When this is clicked, the filter options are re-rendered, the lists gets longer - and the user will get annoyed and will making the list of options smaller using the search input.
An other alternative would be to have a possiblity to force the user right away to use the search box. Instead of showing the list of checkboxes a text would be shown: "1258 options. Please refine your search input." But this would be a more invasive option.