I have a project configured to Run Locally and a scheduled test list for execution in the future. The error message appears also if you have scheduled a recurring test list.
When I make a change in any of the tests, that are part of the test list, I get the message "Storage service unreachable". My setup does not have an use a Storage service and the test is actually updated and executed as expected.
Please fix the cases when this message appears unnecessarily.
Why do some extract actions have expectation properties? Isn't the purpose of an extract just to get whatever value is set at the time and put it into a variable for later use (typically verification)?
For example, the RadDropDownList has the built in action of "Extract - RadDropDownList: all item count is '19'". This creates a step like this: "RadDropDownList('ctl00_cphM_ecAddContact_ddlCategory')Extract item count into DataBindVariable $(CphMEcAddContactDdlCategoryDiv)". The step properties have CompareType and ItemCount.
Interestingly, in my test of a drop down list with 19 items, I changed the ItemCount property to 999 and ran it and the step passed successfully.
Both options to delete a cookie by domain and by cookie do not work for Chrome and Firefox. It still works for Internet Explorer though.
The ClearBrowserCache step is working as expected and clears all cookies.
The Check for JS errors step is not working on remote execution with the Test Studio Test Runner. I have no issues when executing locally on the machine with Test Studio.
This is causing troubles for the CI builds and scheduled execution.
I have an application, where 1 click triggers 2 consecutive confirm dialogs. I handled them both and Test Studio recorded 2 handle confirm dialog steps.
When I run the test against Internet Explorer it works as expected, but in Chrome it is stuck at the second confirm dialog.
Auto-submitting a bug from local test run works as expected, but not from a remote execution server.
The issue comes from the different certificates that Test Studio and the remote execution server use and the fact that there were changes in Jira's API.
Custom WPF application with specific control - ViewBox, causes the highlighting to be misaligned.
In case the ViewBox control is removed from the application structure, the highlighting works as expected.
1. Create local data for a test.
2. Data bind the same test to external data source.
3. Remove the data binding to the external source.
At this point I can't use the local data for data driven test steps or find expressions.
The workaround is to right click on the test and go to Properties. Then enable both DataEnabled and DefaultToGrid.
The step failure details shows the option to add an element to the repository. This option actually does not work and it does not generate any log.
A specific WPF application with custom controls cannot be highlighted correctly.
Details shared internally.
I would like to report what is probably a bug within the Telerik Test Studio.
I have imported / data bound a CSV file to a data driven test case. There is one field in one record that is not being picked up by your software. It is very bizarre. I though I had encountered something like this before but was not able to reproduce. Now, I have found it again. The column in question contains both American zip codes and Canadian postal codes. The all numeric zip codes are being picked up but the alpha-numeric postal code is not.
I have included a copy of the CSV file and a couple of screenshots from the software (one in Excel and the other from the "Bind test to a data source" screen) of the file in question.
When I used...
...in a coded step I see absolutely nothing in the dialog screen.
If you wish to see my project please let me know.
While connecting to Jira Cloud (https://name.atlassian.net) with valid userid and password, its giving error message "The remote server returned an error :(401) Unauthorized".
The issue here is that when I create a bug in Jira Cloud or TFS and attach the results, I get different contend in the attached files. If I run a test manually from the project tab (quick execution), click on the step failure details for a failed step, and submit a bug I get the detailed log files in the attachment. If I run the test from a test list (either locally or remotely) the log files only contain a single line. This affects both ExecutionLog.txt and FailedStepLog.txt. I don't see why they should be different. It is very hard to troubleshoot and issue without the full log.
I have enabled the "Reconnect to console on disconnect" option in my execution server. When I close the active remote connection, I noticed that the resolution changes and this causes my tests to fail.
Please find a solution for this.